Mission to Cambodia to take stock of adaptation planning
24 - 28 February 2014, Cambodia - The NAP-GSP and Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) held a mission to Cambodia in February 2014 to support the NAP process. The mission was undertaken following the request of the Ministry of Environment (MoE) of Cambodia.
The overall objective of the NAP-GSP/GIZ technical support mission was to undertake a stocktaking of adaptation initiatives relevant to national adaptation planning in Cambodia and to identify aspects which require strengthening to potentially support the NAP process. The joint NAP-GSP/GIZ team examined Cambodia’s options for a NAP process, together with the MoE and other key actors, including the Ministry for Economy and Finance and the Ministry of Water Resources and Meteorology.
Cambodia has recently launched its Climate Change Strategic Plan. This together with other respective sectoral strategies and plans will need to be closely aligned to the NAP process.
Based on the results of this stocktaking exercise, the MoE will be assisted to develop a road map for the NAP process. This road map will help to determine additional technical advisory needs, assign stakeholders for technical cooperation and develop a timelime for the NAP process.
The missions objectives were to provide recommendations as follows:
▪ For joint activities and programming across sectors and themes;
▪ To improve the existing planning and implementation framework;
▪ For a roadmap for the NAP process in Cambodia.
The preliminary recommendations of the mission were:
▪ Strategy development for mobilizing added value (e.g. strengthening joint implementation, financing) to the NAP process in Cambodia;
▪ Launch of the NAP process in Cambodia through an Inception Workshop;
▪ Adoption of specified NAP Strategy and a confirmed mandate;
▪ Communication of the ‘Cambodian NAP’ to the UNFCCC/LEG Chair and at international level;
▪ Development of a comprehensive vulnerability assessment, including the selection of models and time frames for scenarios.
The report of the stocktaking mission - the Stocktaking Report - was submitted to Cambodia at the end of March 2014 and is available upon request.
Cambodia NAP-GSP stocktaking debriefing presentation
Last Updated: 18 Sep 2018